Thursday, September 22, 2005

In the pines...

Today for the first day I was actually way up in the mountains. I didn't get to stay long, but it was nice. I was up on Mt Wilson and the Chileo Flats area. Up high in the mountains there are ponderosa pines and white firs and other trees more representitive of places like the Sierras. Since these mountains are so steep, the area densely forested with pines is smaller than that of the San Bernadino mountains (they prefer more gentle slopes, it seems) but the mountains also have a variety of other things like bigcone spruce and oak forests, and deep canyons full of oak and alder forest.

It's a neat area.. well, most of it is. There are dirty urban fringe areas just like in Malibu. It's definitely in the 'front lines' of habitat preservation.

My office is in a canyon right above the Valley. I will be in a trailer (which is all the forest/park service seem to ever have) but i will have a window and my own office area. And hopefully i will be in the field a lot.

Other than that... I am really enjoying my place in Pasadena. I haven't done too much social stuff yet but i hope to soon.

Oh yeah.. Josh, if you read this... we were hoping you could help us get a password on the wireless connection. Call/email me when you guys get back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Josh says: I will call you.